(I wrote this in March 2005 when Chip was 3 months old.)
What I will miss when Chip is no longer a baby:
- How tiny yet present he is.
- How just showing up makes him stop crying and start cooing and laughing.
- How simple his needs are.
- His goofy toothless grins.
- That he lets me cuddle and kiss him as long as I want to.
- How excited he gets when I get him out of his crib in the morning.
- How the top of his bald head smells.
- How great it is to kiss the back of his neck.
- That doesn’t yet know how to lift up his arms when I reach to pick him up.
- That he always manages to stick his little cold hands on my bare skin.
- That sometimes he gets so excited to nurse that he tries to eat his own hands.
- That when he gets excited he flails his body around as hard as he can, and how everything gets him excited.
- That he is my last baby.
And I was right. I miss all those things. Sigh…